Lubbock Weather
Partly Cloudy 94°F

General Conditions

Ceiling Tile Missing

In most cases, the ceiling tile is the only fire resistant material between the room and the attic or roof supporting members. Heat from a fire entering the space above the suspended ceiling can quickly weaken roof supports and lead to premature collapse of the roof. The ceiling tiles also serve in a limited capacity as a smoke barrier. With tiles missing, smoke can spread more rapidly to other areas of the building. 

Damaged or Exposed Wiring

Damaged electrical wiring can short out and cause a fire or possible electrocution with human contact. 

Electric Cover Plates, Damaged or Missing

Because most electrical failures occur at connection points, sparks and arcs can be contained if the cover plates are in place. Also, the cover plates are there to prevent someone from unintentionally contacting the charged electrical connections. 

Extension Cords Not Proper Type or Size for Use

Extension cords that are undersized for the intended use can heat up and melt the wire insulation causing a fire. The most common problem encountered is businesses using extension cords as a permanent power supply for appliances or equipment. Extension cords are intended to be used only temporarily. A licensed electrical contractor should be contacted to add additional electrical outlets if a permanent source of power is needed. 

Extension Cords Not Properly Protected

Extension cords or approved power strip cords are subject to premature deterioration or damage when they are left unprotected in walkways. Carpet or rugs covering the extension cord or power strip cord is not adequate protection. 

Combustibles/Debris Accumulation Outdoors

Combustibles stored outside the building must be stored at lease half the height of the pile away from the building. Trash accumulation inside and outside of the building is a fire hazard and should be discouraged. Trash should be properly discarded in a trash can or dumpster on a regular basis. 

Combustibles Too Close to Appliances

Combustibles should be placed no closer than 36 inches away from appliances to keep them from igniting. 

Unvented Gas Appliances/Gas Lines

Unvented open flame heaters or unvented gas water heaters are prohibited inside of businesses. These types of appliances produce deadly Carbon Monoxide gas. Unsafe gas lines inside of structures are: rubber hose, copper or aluminum tubing, PVC pipe, ward flex, or galvanized pipe.