The Training Division is headed by Battalion Chief Chris Addington. There are three Captains, and one Administrative Assistant assigned to this division. Major responsibilities include: Recruit testing and training, research and development, overseeing Texas Commission on Fire Protection continuing education and certification requirements, regulatory compliance, and the officer development program. The Training Chief and staff members perform as Safety Officers and assist with Emergency Management functions at major incidents. Facilities
Besides the Training Academy with classrooms, the facility utilizes a Fire Field with training projects that include a drill tower, burn house, smokehouse, and propane fueled truck and propane storage fires. The training field also has a flashover simulation container, as well as areas for extrication, confined space, and trench rescue. Areas of Responsibility
- New Recruit Training - Recruits attend the Recruit Orientation where they spend weeks of instruction in areas required by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection and additional hours of specialized training unique to the Lubbock Fire Department.
- Continuing Education - Training and tracking of Texas Commission on Fire Protection and Texas Department of State Health Services required continuing education is provided for certified members of the department.
- Equipment Operator & Officer schools - The training staff is responsible for assisting the professional development of Lubbock Fire Dept Personnel.
- Research and Development - The training staff is responsible for research and development of new equipment, techniques, programs, and products.
- Lubbock Area Fire Conference - The first week of April each year is reserved for the LAFC. About 1000 paid and volunteer fire fighters attend the conference annually to receive training in many different areas of classroom instruction, as well as live fire fighting.