915 Avenue J
Lubbock, Texas 79401

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 2000
Lubbock, TX 79457

Phone Number: (806) 775-2473
Fax Number: (806) 775-2468


The law requires that you appear in court on your case. If you were issued a citation, your appearance is required within 12 days of the date the citation was issued. You or your attorney may appear in person in open court, by mail, or you may deliver your plea in person to the court. When you make your appearance by mail, the envelope must be postmarked no later than your scheduled appearance date. A phone call or e-mail does not constitute an appearance. An appearance must be made in person or in writing.

When you receive a citation, you must enter a plea on or before 12 days from the citation issue date. Only the person whose name appears on the citation can enter a plea. Your decision concerning which plea to enter is very important. Please consider each plea carefully before making a decision. If you plead "Guilty" or "Nolo Contendere" in open court, you should be prepared to pay the fine and court costs immediately.

No Contest Plea (Nolo Contendere)

A plea of nolo contendere means that you do not contest the charges against you. A plea of nolo contendere cannot be used against you in the event of a subsequent civil suit for damages (i.e., traffic accident for which you are subsequently sued). When you enter a “No Contest” plea, you must pay the fine and court costs specified for the violation.

Guilty Plea

By entering a plea of guilty you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you have no defense. When you plead guilty to a violation, you must pay the fine and court costs ordered by the court. Before entering your plea of guilty, however, you should understand the following:

  • The State has the burden of proving you violated the law.
  • You have the right to hear the State’s evidence and require the State to prove you violated the law.
  • A plea of guilty may be used against you in a civil suit if there was a traffic accident.

Not Guilty Plea

A plea of not guilty means that you are informing the court that you deny guilt or that you have a good defense for your case. If you plead not guilty, you will need to decide whether you want a trial before a jury or before a judge. You will need to decide whether to represent yourself or hire an attorney to represent you. You or your attorney must be present at the trial.

Deferred Disposition is a method of having your citation dismissed after full payment of the fine, court costs, and satisfactory completion of certain terms and conditions within a probationary period. During this probationary period, no additional citations can be received by the defendant. All requirements imposed in the deferral agreement must be satisfied and proof of completion submitted timely to the City of Lubbock Municipal Court.


If the defendant does not complete the terms of the deferred disposition, additional fines may be imposed and a conviction reported on his/her driving record.



  • You must enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge and waiver of a jury trial.
  • You must request “Deferred Disposition” on or before your appearance date.
  • You must have not had a deferral in Lubbock within one year preceding the offense date on your current citation.
  • You must pay the full amount of the citation.


  • You are currently on a deferral from another court in Lubbock.
  • You have a Commercial Driver’s License.
  • You are charged with a traffic offense committed in a construction zone when workers are present.

You may request to have your violation dismissed by successfully completing a driver's safety course. You are eligible to take a driver safety course if you have a valid Texas driver's license or permit  and you have not taken a driver safety course within the last twelve (12) months immediately preceding the date of the alleged offense and are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation in the State of Texas. Driver safety course may only be taken for moving violations.


  • Possess a valid Texas driver's license or permit.
  • Show proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance in your name, or as a listed driver.
  • Enter a plea of "guilty" or "no contest".



  • Offenses committed in a construction work maintenance zone when workers are present.
  • Holders of a CDL license regardless of vehicle driven.
  • Speeding 25 mph or more over the speed limit.
  • Speeding over 95 mph.
  • Passing a stopped school bus.
  • Leaving the scene of an accident.
  • Past due citations.

You may request defensive driving in person or through the mail.

The simplest method of resolving your violation is to pay the fine and court costs. To use this option you must enter a plea of guilty or no contest and waive your right to a trial. Payment can be made online, in person, or by mail. Once the violation is paid in full no other action is necessary .